Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Black Russian Mini Bundt Cakes with Chocolate Kahlua Sauce


There is one in every group.

Have you ever gone to a class, seminar, party, or generally anywhere there is a group of people gathered and find there's always that one person who seems to know everything about everything, but when it comes down to brass tacks, they don't really know anything? Or those people that have such a strong sense of entitlement, one would think they fell off the royalty wagon?

Lucky me, I met said person all in one go. 

Just before the holidays, I attended a cooking class with a friend to broaden my horizons, if you will. I'm always eager to learn new tips, techniques and of course, recipes. If I can make something at home as opposed to buying or ordering it, I am all over it. 

There was a woman in this class I knew I was going to have issues with the moment she walked in the room. First off, she was late - an unapologetic nine minutes late at that. If I'm late for anything, I am apologizing profusely the moment I enter the room. My face is usually red from embarrassment and my coat, bag, and other personal belongings have already been removed and tucked away along with the tail between my legs to avoid any more interruption.  

Secondly, she leisurely strolled through the door while texting on her phone, not even acknowledging anyone else was in the room. Our instructor had to clear her throat to get her attention. Her response? "Oh". 

Nice. 

Then it started. About 10 minutes into the lesson, the know-it-all comments let loose. "Well I use this...." and "We do it this way in my house" and my personal favourite, "When I was in Italy for five minutes, twelve years ago….".

Normally, I just would roll my eyes and feel sorry for people like her, because really. Why do people make such spectacles of themselves in public? I'll tell you. For attention. However, I paid just as much for the class as she did. I've walked away from other classes in the past with these same said people in attendance, didn't say anything, and cursed the live long day when I couldn't recall something I learned because I was too frustrated thinking about the person interrupting the class. I would kick myself if I didn't say something.

Just as I was getting my nerve to pipe up, the woman next to her spoke up. Seriously, it was almost as if the mental frustration gods heard me, but knew my hesitation. 

"Why are you here? If you know what you're doing, why come?"

 Well, grab the popcorn folks because if looks could kill. 

As soon as she picked her jaw from the floor, she retorted that she was "rude" for asking such a question and that she was "only trying to help the 'novices' in the class". 

Novices? Seriously? Could this get any better? And to be fair, the woman was very nice about it. She wasn't rude in tone; she was only asking. Thankfully, before an all out cat fight started, the instructor brought it back to a civil manner and asked that all comments be held until the end of the session, but you better believe there was some serious huffing and puffing coming from her end of the table. 

The comical part about this whole situation was when she got on her phone (after class thank goodness) and complained to the person on the other end that she didn't learn anything she didn't already know! Imagine that. Did she not read the single paged, double spaced, large, bold font leaflet describing step-by-step what the class would entail? I'm thinking not. Then she tells the caller that she "could have taught the class". Uhhh….

Yep. One in every group.

Sort of like chocolate cake. There are some chocolate cakes that stand out amongst the crowd; some so incredible, it should be illegal. I like to think this is one of them. It's dark. It's rich. It's decadent. Best of all, it's easy. 

In fact, it's so easy, even a, *ahem*, 'novice' could do it. 


BLACK RUSSIAN MINI BUNDT CAKES WITH CHOCOLATE KAHLUA SAUCE


2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups granulated sugar
¾ cups cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream - full fat is best, but 2% is fine
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
2 large eggs, at room temperature
¾ cup Kahlua liqueur
3 tablespoons vodka


CHOCOLATE KAHLUA SAUCE

¾ cup dark chocolate chips
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
¼ cup heavy cream
3 teaspoons golden syrup (light corn syrup will work as well)
¼ cup Kahlua
Pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray mini bundt pan with a non-stick cooking spray, preferably one with flour added.

In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, cocoa powder and salt together; set aside.



In another large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together sour cream, eggs, vanilla extract (or paste), Kahlua, and vodka until fully incorporated. Slowly combine dry ingredients into wet and beat just until incorporated. 





Divide mixture into bundt pans and place in oven. 



Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before turning out. Place on wire rack and cool completely. 

To make Chocolate Kahlua Sauce:

In a saucepan over medium heat, add heavy cream, butter and golden syrup. 




Once melted, turn heat to low and add chocolate chips. Whisk together until smooth and creamy. Remove from heat and add Kahlua and salt. Whisk until fully incorporated. 





Pour chocolate sauce into a dish and allow to cool to room temperature. 

Pour chocolate sauce over bundt cakes. Best when served warm. I also love the addition of walnuts to this cake, but it's really nice without them as well.

share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
23 Comments »

23 Responses to “Black Russian Mini Bundt Cakes with Chocolate Kahlua Sauce”

  1. Does Kahlua go bad? I've had a small bottle in my pantry forevs, and now i finally have a recipe to make with it! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robyn! No, it doesn't. My Mom had a bottle for 2 years, used it in a recipe and it was fine. Something with the higher alcohol content that prevents it from spoiling. If you make it, let me know how you make out! XO

      Delete
  2. I loathe people like that too! But usually they amuse me because eventually they fall flat on their faces or screw up majorly. I wait for that moment. It happens eventually.

    I love the cocktail behind this bundt flavour, so I'm pretty sure I would adore these little bundts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true, Janice! I'm wondering if this girl hit her 'moment' in class and I had the pleasure of watching. Mind you, I'm not one to enjoy other's misery or misfortunes, but holy smokes! If I almost said something, you know it was bad.

      I enjoy Kahlua as well. This is just a way to use up some leftover Christmas cheer! XO

      Delete
  3. You can ALWAYS learn something. Even if you're an expert. Even if you've been doing it for years. Even if that something is simply: that woman over there is a complete doofus. Or: those mini bundt cakes look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the love! And I agree - you can always learn something and you should never stop trying to. Unfortunately, some people never learn full stop. XO

      Delete
  4. I'm always amazed at how self-absorbed and narcissistic some people can be. As for these mini bunts...I could really get self-absorbed in one of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the love, Paula! It's so sad how some folk just fall into that category. As she was slapping those lips, I was like, 'StopStopStopStop...you look like a fool...stopstopstop". Some people never learn. XO

      Delete
  5. OMG I woulda wanted to hit her! arghhh

    at least there's cake. This beautiful, beautiful cake!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kayle girl! Yeah, I think there was a slap line queuing behind her. Totally frustrating! Xo

      Delete
  6. Would this work in a regular size bundt pan or is there not enough batter? Yea those people ruin it for everyone who pay good money to go to a class and make the instructor feel bad in the bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there - Yes! This cake would totally work in a standard sized bundt pan. Just increase the baking time by about 15-20 minutes - or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Start checking at the 40 minute baking mark to avoid overbaking. PS - I agree. Some people. Grrr.....XO

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh I would have so wanted to slap her. Urghhh!!! Silly woman with some serious issues. I love the cocktail bundts. This will be perfect after a class like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Zainab, if you only knew! I feel so sorry for people like that. It's almost as if they are missing something in their lives that they need to act a certain way in public or around others. Shocking really! As always, thanks for the love! XO

      Delete
  8. Oh there are jerks everywhere you go. I would hardly call you a novice! These have to be the most amazing little cakes I have ever seen. What a great Flavor Combination!!! I would love to have you link this up at my Linky Party Show Me Your Plaid Monday's! http://www.pandpkitchen.com/2014/01/13/show-me-your-plaid-mondays-50/

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! That is hilarious! People are crazy.

    I would take some classes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha I love your honesty, people like that are such a pain! I adore that mini bundt pan so fab!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the first Black Russian I've met that I'd like to put in my tummy! ;) Love that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yikes! I woulda punched that girl. Good for you for taking classes to broaden your horizons!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your bundt cake and the black Russian idea. But I tell you your story was a read out loud to the hubby kind of story and your are right one in every group situation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Could I substitute Baileys for the Kahula?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can certainly try it. You'll definitely have to play around with the recipe as Baileys is already a cream based liqueur and may alter the results.

      Delete
  15. In terms of honey I prefer the Carpathians Raw Honey , the price reflects the quality of their service.

    ReplyDelete