Friday, January 3, 2014

Spiked Eggnog Rice Pudding

  

Eight random things about me. 

Oh, by the way, Happy New Year! Before I get into all the stuff that makes me a probable certified weirdo, I want to sidestep for a moment and reflect on 2013. This past week especially, I've been reminiscing about all the amazing opportunities the year had brought me, bloggy blog wise. All the fabulous new friends I've met, both in person and on social media, all the doors it has opened for me, but more importantly, all the ways my heavenly Father continues to bless me in the things I love doing most. The path He constantly paves for me to walk to where He needs me to be is so humbling. I've said it before and I'll say it a thousand time more. I am nothing without Him. Na.da. 

Okay. Hmmm. Eight. random. things. 

I was sent this request by my very sweet friend, Melissa of The Baked Equation. An amazing woman I have grown to admire and completely adore. You should check out her work. She's INCREDIBLE. Like, crazy incredible. 

So here's eight random things about me. If you want to read more, click on that nifty 'About Me' button at the top and I'm sure you'll get the low down on how I work. In the meantime….drumroll please. 

I have lip balm and hand sanitizer readily available on every floor of my home, in my car, and in my handbag at all times. I'm a germophobe that likes soft lips. 

My parents didn't have much when I was growing up, so learning to appreciate a good bargain and coupons was imperative. When I was 21, I wanted to see how far $12 would go, so I took a friend out and we managed dinner, mini golf, and a movie. We even scored free dessert because the waitress said I was, 'charming', although I did a really cool magic trick for them. I think that's what did it. Now that I'm an, ahem, adult, these values haven't lessened. I'm a huge bargain shopper. Coupons. Price matching. I'm not above it. However, there's a BIG difference between being cheap and scoring a bargain. I'm currently teaching this to my children. 

I am terrified of inflated latex balloons, especially the transparent ones. This stems from my childhood and awful cousins that used to pop them in my face to get a reaction from me. Jerks.

I have two tattoos. 

Shellfish is my kryptonite. I am actually anaphylactic. I've been hospitalized three times in my life due to accidental ingestion and cross-contamination. 

I love board games. I don't care if you're my neighbour or the President of the World - you come to my house, I'll feed you well and pull out the board games. You better play. 

I absolutely hate the smell of burnt toast. It turns my stomach something awful. 

I used to play the violin, but gave it up because I found it boring. I really wish I kept going with it and get so angry with myself when I think about it. I think it's the most beautiful instrument in the world. 


One other random fact:

I could eat the entire pot of this rice pudding. In about 30 seconds flat.


I wish you all the very best for 2014. Truly. 


SPIKED EGGNOG RICE PUDDING

1 cup Arborio rice
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup water
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon ground cardamom*
3 cups eggnog
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste (just add a half teaspoon more if using extract)
4 tablespoons rum - optional

*You can substitute cardamom for cinnamon or nutmeg. 

In a saucepan, bring water, salt, and butter to a simmering boil over medium-low heat. Add rice, reduce heat, and allow to absorb as much water as possible, stirring occasionally to avoid rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.



In a mixing bowl (or saucepan if all your mixing bowls are being used for other creations)  whisk together eggnog, sugar, vanilla, and cardamom. Pour over rice and allow to simmer over a medium-low heat. Cook until rice begins to thicken and absorbs much of the eggnog mixture - about 15 minutes, stirring frequently. The last 5 minutes or so of cooking, add in the rum, if using.




Once rice has yielded proper consistency (rice will be chewy, or al dente, not mushy) transfer to a bowl and allow rice pudding to come to room temperature. Place the bowl in fridge and allow to chill. 

Once dished up, serve with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon. (I used a mixture of cardamom, cinnamon. and nutmeg. Amazing.) 

8 comments:

  1. oooooh where are the tattoos and what are they of? maybe that's not blog appropriate! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Trust me, it's not that exciting. I'll show you next time I see you! XO

      Delete
  2. I love a good board game night! Love these eight random facts - your posts always make me smile, Jenny! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this is why I adore you! Anyone that can get on board with board games can't be boring. HA! Big love, Louisa! I'm glad I can put a smile on your gorgeous face! XO

      Delete
  3. Wow, I could eat this in 30 seconds as well! Actually 15 seconds....half for me, half for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a GREAT plan, Liz - although I love rice pudding, so I may have a sharing issue. ;) XO

      Delete
  4. Faith, chapstick and board games. I feel like I get you :) Love the twist on rice pudding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we would be very good friends. God is the first and foremost in my life. Everything else falls after that. Life is so much more manageable when He's in control, right? Thanks for the love! XO

      Delete